Monday, March 30, 2015

Krispy Eggs: An Easter Treat

Happy Monday!

It's good to be back. Sorry for leaving you hanging last week. Things have been really busy around here, but thanks for sticking with me.

Can you believe it's almost April? I feel like March never actually happened. Where is the time going!?

With the arrival of April, means Easter is around the corner. I love Easter. Pastel colors, egg hunts, a delicious lunch, and most of all, the meaning behind the holiday.

This year, Spencer and I will be going to see my family in eastern Tennessee. Saturday will be spent watching the kids race for eggs, eating great food, wonderful fellowship, hugs, laughter, and sadly missing my Aunt Linda. This will be the first gathering since her service in February, and I expect it will be a little bittersweet. 

Since we are traveling, I have signed up to take sweet and unsweet tea (who actually drinks the unsweet? C'mon. You're doing it wrong) which requires zero temperature control needs. Guess what else? We will be eating lamb. Lamb! One of my very favorite foods, but unfortunately don't have often since it's kind of pricey. I hope nobody else wants any, because I might sneak it away into a remote corner and devour it in secret. Shhh.

Another Easter food favorite? Deviled eggs. I know there are many creative takes on the popular finger-food, but I must say, I'm a big fan of the classic deviled egg. Also, I wonder how they got their name. Any ideas?

Speaking of eggs, I think I might make a "surprise" dessert to take to TN with us. I say "surprise" because some of my family members read this blog. Really, though, it's just an excuse to make (and eat) rice krispie treats.




This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman, who I adore and like to pretend I am BFF's with. Is that weird? I don't think so either. You can find the original recipe here.


Krispy Easter Eggs
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 5 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Servings: 12


Ingredients:

  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • 1 package (10 Ounces) Mini Marshmallows
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies
  •  Assorted Sprinkles
  •  Small Chocolate Easter Eggs
  •  Plastic Easter Eggs

Directions:

  • In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. 
  • Remove from heat, then add rice cereal and stir until well coated.
  • Lightly spray interior of the plastic eggs with non-stick cooking spray. If mixture is too sticky, you can also spray your hands. 
  • Fill both sides of the plastic egg with rice cereal mixture, slightly over-filling one side. 
  • Press chocolate egg in the center on one side of the egg, then close the plastic egg to shape it. (It should be full enough to meet with a little resistance as you close it.) 
  • Gently release the rice cereal egg from the mold, decorate with your choice of sprinkles and set aside in egg crate until set.

Can I get an "amen!"?



Until next time - - 




1 comment: