Friday, March 20, 2015

Lessons My Puppy Has Taught Me

Life Lessons. We get new ones all the time. Sometimes they are obvious (and painful), and other times they're more subtle and may slip by unnoticed. Sometimes we can even learn these important lessons by watching others' mistakes and learning what not to do (shoutout to my sisters - thanks for all the mistakes - hehe)!  :)

I've attempted lately to be a bit more observant of people and places where I can watch and learn some more life lesson (rather than always having to experience them myself). As I've been observing, I've discovered a wonderful teacher of these great lessons.

Piper the Puppy!





Think about it. We can learn so many things from animals, and dogs in particular. Today I'm sharing with you five lessons I've learned specifically from Miss Piper.

ONE - Play Time is Important
As adults, we tend to work, work, work, and work. Then, when we get home, there is laundry, yardwork, dusty furniture all waiting to be taken care of. It never ends! But as I watch Piper, she reminds me how important it is to just play. We need to have fun! We can't be calm and serious all the time - how boring. We need to laugh, to play games, to run around, be a little crazy, make some noise, and jump around! (but I would suggest not biting people's fingers - that's one thing she does that isn't fun for all involved). Play!!


Nom nom nom!


TWO - Lick the Ones You Love
Well, maybe not literally lick them (awkward), but do let the people around you know how much you care for them and appreciate them. And do it often! How will they know if you don't tell them? If Piper didn't constantly give me sweet kisses, I'd think something is wrong with her. We all need affection, and we all need to give affection. Don't be afraid! Put away that pride, and give some extra hugs and kisses today.


Slurp!


THREE - Sleep When You're Tired
I know, I know. Easier said than done. Often times we're tired when we don't have a option to take a nap. And that's no fun! But when you're at home and you're sleepy, don't worry so much about the fingerprints you have to wipe from the glass or the car in the garage that hasn't been washed in months. Because guess what? You can sleep for 30 minutes and the mess will still be there when you wake up! (And if this isn't true for any of you, please share your secret. That would be awesome). Worry less, relax more. Piper never has a problem just plopping down and taking a snooze - and she's happier and better off for it!


Zzzz...


FOUR - Get Excited!
I think my favorite thing about Piper is just how excited she gets to see people when they come into the house. I could leave her at the front door where she watches me walk to the mailbox, back up the driveway, and walk back inside. And guess what? She is THRILLED TO SEE ME. I'm talking tail-wagging, tongue-hanging-out, jumping-up-and-down excited. And it makes me feel so special! Are you excited to see someone? Excited about something that happened, or a gift you received? Show it! Jump up and down, smile, express your joy! Even if you're not in a great mood, I promise it will help. Not only will it help you, but joy is contagious! Others around you will be happier for it, too.


Just look at that excitement ;)


FIVE - Pee in the Proper Places
Trust me. Nobody likes a tinkler. Just trust me on this.


Sorry, Mommy.




What other lessons have you learned from your pet? Where do you look for life lessons?



Until next time - - 



12 comments:

  1. Great post! I especially agree with the tinkler part ;) Piper the puppy is the cutest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! You'll have to come visit her :)

      Delete
  2. This is great and so true! I have witnessed the tinkler part and it's not pleasant :) Sweet girl! -Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you have Piper! I thought I successfully taught you a long time ago, the proper place to tinkle. Did you inflict your old bad habits on Casey? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have her, too! I never thought I'd think of an animal like my child, but I do! Casey makes Piper excited with that high pitched voice. She may have tinkled a bit on her pants ;)

      Delete
  4. Hahaha cute! I've learned patience! I'm still not great, but I've gotten better! The look Willow gets when she knows she's in trouble helps me to take a step back. I use a lot less physical discipline than I used to use (note: I NEVER beat my dog!)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, patience has been a big lesson, too. She's starting to grasp "no," but we still have some ways to go on that command!

      Delete
  5. OK, this post is TOO adorable. I juts wanna hug your sweet little puppy (I hope that's not creepy...). I especially love how you pulled relevant lessons from your relationship with you pup that are totally applicable to relationships with humans. Such a great idea for a post! My favorite is #2, and I think I will apply it literally. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! We just love her to pieces :) I think you should definitely try #2 literally. It's a great way to make new friends! hahaha - I also am a fan of #5. Very important life lessons here!! :D

      Delete