Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Blog-tember Challenge: A Letter to My 16 Year-Old Self

Today's "Blog-tember Challenge" prompt is to write a letter to myself at 16.  In order to do that, I need to think about what was happening at that point in my life...


I was a sophomore in high school, and my middle sister, Leslie, was a senior. My oldest sister, Jennifer, was in college but living at home. All three girls and my mom - all of the clothes sharing we could ever wish for! 

Pretty sure I had MySpace and AIM pulled up whenever I could get computer time (sharing a desktop had its difficulties), and I got my first cell phone. I had this hot little number: 




I also really enjoyed school. I didn't love homework or studying, but I loved the social aspect of seeing everyone and participating in a lot of clubs and activities. I cheered for the JV squad, and pretty much joined any club that would have me. 

I had boyfriends here and there, but nothing serious at that age. 

SO - now that you're all caught up on my life at 16, you'll understand my letter to myself a little more...

Morgan,

SUP?! (haha) Yeah, people don't say that anymore, but you can use it while it's still cool. I can almost imagine you reading this letter on your bed in your green bedroom that you're sharing with your sister. Don't worry, you'll have your own room soon enough - and you'll actually miss living with your sisters! I know, who would have thought...





Enjoy school as long as you can. The studying and projects come with the territory, but continue with the activities. It's who you are - and it's what you enjoy. However, do start learning now how to say "no" and how to create "me-time." If you don't start now, you'll end up over 10 years down the road still struggling with that. It's important - trust me.





Be nice to people. I know you aren't mean, but actually go out of your way to speak to people that aren't in your immediate circle of friends. You never know when someone needs a kind word. There are so many people that are around you and you have no insight into their lives. Be a bright spot in their day.

Image isn't everything. I know right now it seems so important to wear the right thing, to have the cool bookbag and to fix your hair a certain way. But guess what? When people say those things aren't important, it's true! Try to learn to be content and satisfied with what you do have instead of longing for what you want or coveting what someone else has. In a few months, that "thing" won't be cool anymore anyway.





Enjoy having little responsibilities. It seems like there is a lot on your shoulders, but there truly isn't. Enjoy this time when you don't have to pay bills, care for a house, earn a paycheck, or maintain your car. Keep up your responsibilities at school and at home (keep your room clean, pay for your own gas, help out when asked), but keep in mind that this is the easiest it gets. Have fun, and enjoy it! These are your last few years living at home - cherish this time with your family. 

Take care of yourself. Eat right and stay active. The "Freshman 15" is a REAL THING. Don't think you're exempt because you've always been thin. Metabolism slows, and it slows quickly. Extra pounds attack like a ninja. But if and when it happens, remember that you're still beautiful. And that you are your own worst critic.





Remember that friends come and go (a few will remain with you always), but family and GOD are always there. Keep them close and spend time with them. Talk to them. Pray. Foster those relationships. You'll need them forever.


xoxo,
Your 27 year-old self



Brave Love Blog






10 comments:

  1. I wish I would have realized just how much harder life gets when you are out on your own! I remember counting down to that time and now that I've been here for awhile I just wish I could go back for a week without all of the responsibilities and bills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! It all seemed so exciting (and I truly do love my life now) but I regret not soaking it all in while it was happening. I am constantly waiting for the next stage of life instead of enjoying the moment. When will I learn?

      Delete
  2. I've thought a lot about this (I always wished I had had a letter from my future self), but in the end, I wonder if I would have made the same choices if I had known everything would work out. The not knowing made me grow so much as a person. I like what you say about prayer and fostering relationships. great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - not knowing how things work out truly is what builds us! The freedom to make decisions and to allow the consequences (good or bad). It keeps life interesting :)

      Delete
  3. Eeesh 16 year old me ws weird. I had an awkward hair cut, a long distance relationship for half the year, and an awkward boyfriend for the other half. I would not go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Bless. Awkward haircuts are like a right of passage!

      Delete
  4. wonderful post! Its so easy to let your adolescence skip by you without doing what actually matters,what will actual make a difference, and many of us fall into this mentality that you'll be young forever. Its not true, and when adulthood start to come our way and our earlier life choices begin to impact our lives is when we realize how important those years are! Thanks for sharing your story!
    xoxo
    www.mayliving.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree completely. I'm not sure when exactly I slipped into adulthood, but it swooped in and took over before I even knew it was happening! Thank you for reading. :)

      Delete
  5. You make such great points in your letter! I especially loved the one about responsibilities. I wouldn't go back to 16 for anything but I'm tempted to when I think about paying bills, maintaining my car, and housekeeping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally agree. It was so easy then, wasn't it? So they say...hindsight is 20/20!

      Delete