Monday, January 12, 2015

2015 Word of the Year


Since New Years, I have enjoyed reading other bloggers' "Word of the Year" post. It's in place of resolutions or goals (you can see mine here). Choosing a "Word of the Year" is a year-long quest to apply or meditate on the chosen word. I really contemplated what my word would be if I chose one. When it occurred to me, I thought I should probably share it, as someone else may also need it and we can hold one another accountable.

My word for 2015 is "Perspective." Many times, I can over-react, over-analyze, and be overly-sensitive. I've told myself that it's just how women are wired. But truthfully, most times I allow myself to do this simply by not resisting it. I give into the temptations to over-(insert verb) and let it control me rather than me controlling my own emotions.

perspective

/pəˈspɛktɪv/
noun 
1.
a way of regarding situations, facts, etc, and judging their relativeimportance
2.
the proper or accurate point of view or the ability to see it; objectivity:try to get some perspective on your troubles

If someone at work gets upset with me (which if you know me, you know is completely devastating to the natural people-pleaser in me), I often let it throw off my whole day. I did something wrong, they're mad at me, I stink at my job, they're going to tell everyone, they're going to remember it forever...whatever thought goes through my mind, at times I can let it consume me. 

PERSPECTIVE. Did I really mess up? Go apologize. Fix it. I didn't really do anything wrong? Well, then I can't do anything to fix it. Keep working hard, and they'll realize they were wrong. And if not, it's not that big of a deal!

If I don't feel well (which I'm sorry to say has been quite a bit this past year, due to being prone to migraines, and also due to some other personal reasons), man oh man, can I wallow! I don't want someone to tell me to suck it up, that I'll be fine. I want to be coddled, to be catered to, and I want empathy (note: not from everyone, I'm not THAT bad. Mainly from my husband, and growing up from my mom. Basically anyone who gets the honor of living with me!). When I think about it, I have to roll my eyes at myself. I mean, honestly.

PERSPECTIVE. I have friends and family members battling illnesses that they would give anything to trade for whatever measly thing is bringing me down. Breast Cancer, Multiple Sclerosis, Cystic Fibrosis, accidents causing years and years of painful recovery surgeries, you name it. The funny thing is, these are the people that I never hear complain. If that doesn't keep things in perspective, what will?

If I get pouty because I can't buy something I want, or think that I "need," I wish that we had more money. "So-and-so has this, and they're younger than I am!" "I saw on Instagram that so-and-so got that watch I want so badly. I'd be sooo happy if I can have that, too!"

PERSPECTIVE. If my happiness rests in what I have or don't have, what trips I can or can't take, or lusting after others' things, I have my priorities all out of whack. That's when I know I need to step back, dive into my Bible and into prayer, and really remind myself that the only thing that can make me happy is finding my identity in Christ and resting in that. All of my other blessings are sprinkles on top. And everything else I don't have but think I want, well, the Lord has reasons for keeping things from us for our own good.

So for 2015, my word of focus is "Perspective." I hope this will train my mind and my heart to focus less on myself, and more on helping and being there for other people. 

If you'd like to join me in this, let me know! We can encourage each other. 

What word would you pick for 2015? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time - - 


2 comments:

  1. I loved this Morgan! What a great pick for your new year word and I'll pray that you're able to keep such a wonderful perspective on life throughout the years to come!
    I had a hard time choosing between two but I believe I would have to go with "humble." Eric and I are about to go through so many changes this year and, while exciting, I need to remember that these changes don't make who we are! I need to remember how I started to get to this point and keep my head level headed and, well, humble! Love you sweet friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! I appreciate the prayers. "Humble" is a great one! Y'all have so much fun ahead, and you've got plenty of great people around to help keep you grounded. :)

      Delete