Wednesday, January 21, 2015

True or False: Iron Out Carpet Stains

As you remember, I started a new series called "True or False." If you missed the first post where I tested out cleaning up headlamps with toothpaste, you can see that here

The next test I had to try was ironing out carpet stains. I pinned this pin, and have been wanting to try it for myself. So, I did. 




(Side Note: no judging my dirty carpet, got it? If you do, we can't be friends)

My supplies:

  • Windex (I used the clear Windex with vinegar, but the person in the pin used blue and said it worked fine)
  • White cloth (you can use any color, but I wanted to see if the stains were being lifted)
  • Iron (dry setting)
It's as easy as it sounds. First I located a mystery stain on my carpet...which in person was orange, but looks alarmingly brown in this photo (wasn't hard to do - please tell me I am not the one with carpet that has oodles of stains that seemingly appear overnight while we're sleeping. What on earth?!).




After squirting the stain generously with Windex, I placed the cloth over it and ironed as I would a piece of clothing (as in, not holding it in one spot to avoid scorching). 





Within 5-10 seconds, I could see color appearing on the cloth, in the shape of the stain underneath. Hmm...sure enough, when I lifted the cloth, voila! The stain was gone! It was absorbed into the cloth. Woohoo!

 



If you're anything like me, then you probably already guessed that I giddily flitted around my home, squiring and ironing anything I could find. 

Be aware. Two stains I could identify did not come out: ink and a paint drip. Can't blame a girl for trying.


Verdict:
TRUE (with exceptions)


9 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'll definitely be using that! Can the cloth be paper towel? You said no ink, but I wonder about highlighter...... I'll primarily be using it for stains from Willow's accidents. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would stick to a cloth (wash cloth, hand towel, etc.). I think a paper towel would catch fire/burn under the iron!

      Delete
  2. NO way!!! I have seen this on Pinterest but was too afraid to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile, too, but I'm so glad I did! It was actually really fun watching them disappear, haha. If you try it, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

      Delete
  3. Those are really smart tips! The best part is how you factor in a lot of technology and chemistry into the situation. Carpets, after all, are problematic for cleaning, given the very complicated intersection of their fiber and base materials. We should not be beholden to that too much, but we should keep that in mind whenever we engage in that kind of chore. Thanks for sharing that, Morgan! All the best to you!

    Nancy Graham @ Anew Carpet Cleaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great points! I certainly don't know all of the chemistry behind why some stains will come out vs. others, but I had so much fun running around the house and making stains disappear, haha. I looked like a maniac! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer because I think it’s great that a Pinterest tip worked. I would just caution that you have to be careful because the reaction of the chemicals with your carpet fibre might not always be favourable. And if you have more than one noticeable stain, it really is worth investing in a professional carpet cleaning service. Especially if your carpet was expensive.

    Lucy Andrews @ Safeclean Westminster

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s amazing to visit again n again coming to your blogs the superb effort is here. The Carpet Cleaner Cardiff

    ReplyDelete