Friday, January 23, 2015

National Handwriting Day

Happy Friday!

I hope you arrived to the end of the week sane and in one piece. It always seems that the 4 day weeks go more slowly than the 5 day weeks. Or is it just me?

Anyway - did you know that today is a holiday?! Because it's always fun to have a reason to celebrate (if Friday isn't enough).

Join me in celebrating National Handwriting Day! Yes, that's a real thing, and yes, it's today. January 23rd was actually dubbed National Handwriting Day because it is John Hancock's birthday (and we all know what he famously wrote).





National Handwriting Day was started to reintroduce people to the good, old fashioned pen and paper, and to re-explore the purity of handwriting. It is one of the most basic skills that we learn in school as children, and in this age of computers and smart phones/tablets, we do not use this skill nearly as often as previous generations. Let's make a point to change that today! #bringbackthehandwriting 

You know what's neat? Everyone has unique handwriting. It's kind of like a thumb print, or a snowflake. No two people write exactly the same. And many times, you can distinguish the writer by the handwriting (a parent, a friend, a coworker...). It's crazy when you really stop to think about it!

So, in honor of today's holiday, I am vowing to hand-write and mail notes to some dear friends. Who doesn't love a surprise note in the mail in the midst of bills and junk mail?

How will you celebrate?


PS: Keep an eye on my Instagram account (@yellowdoordiaries) for a giveaway on Monday! Go follow me if you aren't already. :)



Until next time  - - 



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this holiday! I had no idea there was such a thing devoted to handwriting. I don't know about you but I am obsessed with good handwriting. I think it's a problem...Happy Handwriting Day! I will start creating more snailmail :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cool, right? I used to be jealous of girls in school that had beautiful handwriting, and tried so hard for mine to look like theirs. Then I realized it wasn't going to happen and just accepted my own, haha.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to start writing down ideas for a novel that have been swimming around my head for a while, and instead of typing them, for now I'm handwriting! It takes longer so it makes me really pause and think about my ideas. I find it useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Similarly, I prefer keeping a handwritten planner rather than online, because writing it helps commit it to memory. #bringbackthehandwriting :)

      Delete