Friday, November 7, 2014

Football Fare: Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza

Happy Friday!

Isn't it weird how sometimes a week can go by really quickly and really slowly at the same time? That was this week for me. The days were slow, but it's somehow already Friday! I'll take it, gladly - one reason being that I get to see some of my family this weekend in Asheville, including my wonderfully adorable niece, Avia. On top of that, I get to help celebrate the engagement of my step-sister and her fiance! 

Be sure to follow me on social media for a bombardment of pictures this weekend :)

Ok, so I have another recipe for you. Saturday, I picked up another Brown Box Veggies (a local service that provides really great veggies, and has been a wonderful way for me to try new things), and got an overload of kale. Only having 2 people in our household, I knew we'd have to get creative before it went bad. 

After waking up Saturday to SNOW ON THE GROUND (yep, I still live in Columbia, SC - the "Armpit" of the South), we decided against going to the football game that night (a decision I am now even more thrilled with - what a horrible ending). With my sister visiting, a hungry husband, and myself to feed, I tried to get creative with football fare.

I knew I wanted pizza, because I just really like pizza, but wanted to use kale as a topping. After doing some online (read: Pinterest) searching, I decided to adapt a recipe for Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza.




Ingredients:
  • 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
  • Olive Oil
  • Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 ball Fresh Mozzarella
  • 1 Bunch of Curly Kale (remove from stem and tear into small pieces)
  • Pizza Dough (mine was from the Publix bakery, but you can make your own, too)
  • Other toppings of choice

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  • Boil a pot of water, and toss in your peeled cubes of sweet potato.
  • Boil until soft.
  • After cooling a few minutes, combine in the blender: cooked sweet potato cubes, 1 tbsp. olive oil, red pepper flakes (to taste), dash of salt and pinch of pepper.
  • Puree until smooth (I ended up adding more olive oil a little at a time until I got a consistency I was happy with).
  • Roll out the dough onto a pizza pan (or cookie sheet) until it's between 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick.
  • Spread the sweet potato mixture onto the dough as you would a tomato sauce.
  • Toss kale with another tbsp or two of olive oil, and spread on top of the sweet potato sauce.
  • Cut the mozzarella into thin slices, and spread evenly over the kale. I used the whole ball (but I also have an obsession with cheese...so, there's that...)
  • Throw on any other toppings you want, and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and crust is brown.
  • If you're like Spencer, you'll also want to top it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
  • Next step: Cut and Eat! Don't burn your mouth :)
  • Then, tell all of your friends how incredible it is.


Have an amazing Friday, an even more amazing weekend, and don't forget to check out my pictures this weekend!



Until next time - - 



1 comment: