Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cannellini Bean and Kale Soup

On Sunday night, I gave a new soup recipe a try. Success! It was tasty and healthy, and really made me feel like it was fall outside (nevermind the 85 degree temps outside). If you're on the market for a new soup, I'd highly recommend this one!

I had one bowl, Spencer had two, and we have probably two servings left in the freezer.


Ingredients:



  • 2 cans cannellini beans (white beans) - drained and rinsed
  • 1 lb. kale, stems removed and torn into pieces
  • Olive oil
  • 1 small white onion, chopped or minced
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 4 cups water
  • Salt and pepper







Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven, and add the onion. Cook until soft and translucent.
As the onion cooks, mash up one can of drained and rinsed beans (the other can will be added later). Add the mashed beans, chicken broth, and water and bring to a boil.



As you wait, you can begin breaking the kale leaves into pieces. Don't forget to rinse the kale first, as kale tends to have a lot of sand and grit in it when you bring it home. My pile of kale can be seen in this picture. It looks like a lot, but like any leafy green, it will wilt and cook down.


Once the onions, mashed beans, broth, and water has come to a boil, add the second can of beans (whole), kale, salt, and pepper. Stir until all the kale is mixed in, and cover the pot. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.


Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve it up. We ate ours with grilled cheese. Yum yum!




 Do you have a go-to soup recipe? I'd love to check it out!


PS: I would also like to wish my wonderful father-in-law a very happy birthday! He is truly a blessing of a father-in-law, and I'm so grateful he was the man to raise my husband.

AND happy birthday (yesterday) to my sister-in-law, Jessica (so glad we are FINALLY related!!) and my bud, Staci! Love you ladies!


Until next time - - 



No comments:

Post a Comment