Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I Love Food I Can't Have + Butternut Squash Soup

I decided yesterday, and already shared with Spencer for accountability, that I am giving up bread, fried foods, and soda. I don't drink much soda, but I know it has absolutely zero nutritional value. So that's out. Bread and fried foods, however...we have a love affair. It's sort of a family thing. Or maybe a Southern thing? Either way, it's bad for my waistline, so I'm going to try my best to eliminate them.
 
Of course, because it's basically some kind of scientific law, I get Outback To Go last night (traveling for work) and choose a nice, healthy option of salmon with steamed veggies. I sit down to enjoy it in my hotel room, and discover they also packed me a nice, hot loaf of bread. With butter. AHHH. Is the world out to get me to fail only 12 hours in to my new diet!? Everyone hates me and wants me to fail.
 
#dramatic
 
Ok, so if you've followed my blog for any length of time (see above if this is your first post), I really like food. More specifically, I love to cook. If you are searching for a good, fall recipe, I've got just the ticket. This would also be a perfect choice for Thanksgiving! Especially if you're doing like we are and having multiple courses. Because we're fancy like that.
 
Butternut Squash Soup
 
If you've ever had the butternut squash soup from Atlanta Bread Company, you know that it is absolutely delicious. I had this on my brain as I looked up various recipes, and concocted my own - based on what I had on hand (and what I didn't have). Because the last thing anyone wants to do is make a last minute run to the store for bay leaves. #amIright?
 
Ingredients:
  • Non-stick cooking spray or olive oil
  • 1 medium/large butternut squash, cut in half length-wise with seeds removed
  • 1/2 onion, diced (I used red onion, because it's what I had - and it worked fine, but would recommend a sweet onion)
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • Approximately 3/4 - 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar (light or dark)
  • Pinch of nutmeg

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish or jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray or brush with olive oil. Choose your poison...wait. Wrong context.

Anyway, since you've already halved and deseeded your squash (right?), place it cut-side down on your pan and stab it multiple times with a knife (think Lifetime thriller movie). Like this:
 

I did a poor job scraping out the inards. Don't judge.

Put the squash in the preheated oven, and roast for about 45 minutes or until tender.

While that roasts, saute your onion in 2 tbsp butter until soft. Then add your chopped carrot and a cup of chicken broth. Mix it all together and allow the carrot to soften. You can also go ahead and toss in the thyme.

When the squash is finished roasting, scoop out the flesh (or, what I found to be easier is to remove the skin with tongs and cut up the squash). I was using a blender and didn't have room for it all in one batch, so I put half of the squash in the blender, and added half of the onion and carrot mixture. Blend, blend, blend. Add milk and continue blending until it reaches a consistency you like.

Finally, add in 1 tbsp. brown sugar and a pinch of nutmeg.

If you can resist having a bowl right away, you can blend up the other half. This soup freezes beautifully, so don't worry about having too much.

Top with a dollop of sour cream and enjoy!






Until next time - -


1 comment:

  1. I was so honored to be the guinea pig! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete