Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Tips for Easing Anxiety

It's not something I blog about regularly, but I currently take medication for anxiety. (Who's with me?!) For me, a panic attack was the last straw, and I asked Spencer to make a doctor's appointment for me. I have felt quite a difference, but I still have days (or weeks) where I can get overwhelmed, anxious, and lose perspective. During these times, I have to find a way to cope. I have developed a few mechanisms that seem to work well for me, and want to share these in case any of you are experiencing these same feelings and need some help.




1. Deep breathing.
I know it sounds cliche, but it really does help. The trick, however, is to do it correctly. When you inhale, do so through your nose. Also, your stomach and chest should be taking in oxygen with each inhale and in turn should expand (you should see your chest visibly move). When you exhale, do so through your mouth, slowly, and try to exhale all of the air from your lungs. This will take longer than a typical inhale+exhale. If you are in a position where you can also close your eyes as you do this, do it. Try not to focus on anything but your breathing.

2. Take a break.
Briefly remove yourself from whatever is seeming to trigger your anxiety at the moment. If it's work, kids, a public place - get yourself alone for a few minutes. Take a walk, close your eyes, shut your door, listen to a song - find something to do that can clear your head and calm you down. There have been instances when my anxiety returns when I put myself back into the situation, but even a moment away is helpful.

3. Put things in perspective.
Often times, we get so wrapped up in our current situations that we forget what is truly important. Is work overwhelming you? Ask for help and remember that the projects will pass and so will the day. Are your kids running wild? Imagine them in 5 or 10 years, and how much you'll miss the craziness - even in the insane moments! A trick I've found helpful is to talk to Spencer - he is great at talking me down, and reminding me that what I think is a huge deal and completely overwhelming, is in fact not very important in the grand scheme. It's wonderful to have someone I trust who can be completely honest with me, while also letting me talk and express my feelings. 


I'd love to hear any other suggestions, tips, or tricks you have on reducing anxiety. This seems to be an ever-increasing topic among people, so anything you can offer would be helpful to me as well as to others reading!

------------------------------------

Definitely hop on over and check out the second part of  the "Making Pinterest Work For You" series by Love the Here and Now is live TODAY - Finding and Joining Group Boards. Don't miss it!

------------------------------------

AND - I'll be popping in on Feast + West tomorrow with a travel guide, so don't miss it!



Until next time - - 




\

8 comments:

  1. These are great! I definitely have anxiety issues and I use all of these. Giving up caffeine helped me TREMENDOUSLY, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never thought about caffeine being a culprit! Did you know that before you gave it up?

      Delete
  2. Those sound so helpful! Last night I started worrying about a big certifying exam I have coming up, and taking deep breaths really helped. Reading my Bible and praying also are big calmers for me too (is that a word? Oh well! Haha). I'm so glad you shared this, Morgan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes up words ;) Thanks for the encouragement! I don't dive into my Bible like I should when anxiety strikes, so this is a great reminder for me. Keep us in the loop on your exam!

      Delete
  3. Oh man, you are not alone, Morgan. I don't take anxiety meds, but I'm quite the worrier. Perspective is absolutely key, and praying and reading passages like Matt.6:25-27 and Phil 4:6 help me put the issue I'm stressing over (and life in general) in perspective. Good tips, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Those are GREAT passages that I actually have marked myself! Thanks for reminding me to go back to those. <3

      Delete
  4. I use all of theses techniques myself. Medication helps me some, but there are times when it's just not enough. Like Christine, I have limited my caffiene intake to just a 2-3 times a week (I can't give it up completely) and it's helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The meds don't always take care of it. I'll have to look into the caffeine intake - but I'm with you...I don't know if I could drop my coffee completely!!

      Delete