Friday, February 6, 2015

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover: Part II

I left you on Part I of this project with my father-in-law painting doors in the freezing cold garage (did I mention what a trooper he is?). - If you missed Part I, you can catch up here.




Once the everything had 2 coats of the chalk paint, I went back and sealed everything with one coat of Minwax water-based polycrylic for a few reasons. One, I have experience with it. Two, it is more durable for something that will get a lot of use, like kitchen cabinets, than the wax that is recommended for chalk paint. And third, I went with a water-based rather than an oil-based to avoid the cabinets yellowing.

Once everything was FINALLY painted and sealed, I got to hang it all back up! It was so nice to again hide the mess that is inside of our cabinets (which I begrudgingly shared in Part I - but hey, gotta keep it real). 

For hardware, I went with oil rubbed bronze, which is a current favorite finish of mine. I like the look of pulls for drawers (we got these) mixed with knobs for doors (we got these), so that's what I went for! I ordered online from Lowes.com because my local Lowes didn't have as many as I needed in stock. They finally arrived, and when Spencer had a couple of free nights, he measured and made two templates - one for the drawer pulls and one for the door knobs. Clever, isn't he?






He marked where the holes needed to be drilled with a pen, and went back in and started drilling. I followed behind him putting the knobs and pulls in place. Easy, peasy!










Are you ready to see the final results?



Are you sure?



Are you really sure??



Ok...here we go!










What do you think? Is this a project you would take on?

What DIY projects are on your list?


Until next time - - 


10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh it looks fantastic! You've inspired me now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! It is definitely worth the effort. Feels like a new kitchen!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Cassie! It's amazing what a difference paint can make, isn't it!?

      Delete
  3. That looks great!! I love new handles too, those are really pretty. I took on a similar project at my house in FL before we moved to ATL and painting cabinets can be a pain in the booty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really can be a pain! It was totally worth it though. Having handles on our cabinets and drawers has been so nice! haha - I think that alone is the best part :)

      Delete
  4. this looks so good! we're all about the home renovations, but i've never heard of that kind of paint. i'll have to keep it in mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little late to the reveal party!! This turned out so so good! I am totally obsessed with the drawer handles! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lexi! I love the handles, too, and am so glad to finally have something to open the cabinets and drawers with! haha

      Delete