Monday, March 16, 2015

A New Beginning

Y'all. I did it. I joined a gym.




I swore up and down after I finally got out of my last gym contract that I would never do that again. But then a coworker sent me a Groupon for half off of a year gym membership. It is a convenient location, and it is less than the amount my firm will reimburse for in a year (a great work perk - gym reimbursement! Part of our healthy living initiative). 

So, out of excuses, I bought the Groupon and went yesterday to sign up.

My goal is to go three times a week. I'm going to be pretty lenient with myself right now, since I am starting from the bottom. I'm not going to concentrate right now on burning X amount of calories, doing X days of cardio a week, or doing a certain weight regimen. I really want to first make going 3 times a week a habit, and just doing something. Just get myself moving. The rest will come. Baby steps, right? 

I'm going tonight after work, and because my evenings are really limited this week, I'll be attending....wait for it....a 6am spin class tomorrow. Let me write that out, in all caps, to get my point across. SIX O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING. Like, when it's dark out. Pray for me.

So, readers. I need help. Please leave me your tips, advice, and lessons learned regarding living a healthy lifestyle and making being active a habit in your life. I need all of the support I can get!


Until next time - - 


22 comments:

  1. In my limited experience (lol), I have found going to group fitness classes with friends is the best way to get me to the gym and ensure that I enjoy it! :) Hope yall are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Accountability (through friends or otherwise) will definitely be huge for me. Thanks! Hope school is going well. Let us know if y'all plan a trip to SC anytime soon!

      Delete
  2. If you Will call me when you're waking up... No need for words... I'll get up and go wogging (walking/jogging, not to be confused with waddling, though similar) while you're headed for the gym. I need a bit of motivation myself ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm hopeful most of my workouts will be in the evenings when I can manage it. Want me to call you at 5:30 tomorrow morning (and grunt into the phone)?

      Delete
  3. I have little experience in this as you are writing about me two months ago! I can about three times a week, and honestly just feel better. I just "move" and don't pay attention to anything else. Good luck!! You've made the first step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meagan! That's really encouraging. Was it easy to stick with in the beginning?

      Delete
  4. I love spin class!!!!! Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're twinning again today! Good luck on your fitness goals! I'll totally be your accountabilibuddy. And HOORAY for healthy living initiatives that pay for gym memberships...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! That would be FAB. Please do! I can use all of the accountability in the world haha

      Delete
  6. yay! my new year's resolution was to workout and so far I haven't broken the resolution yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! Good for you. Any tips that have kept you motivated?

      Delete
  7. good for you! yes, i need those tips too!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well stick around - hopefully there will be plenty of them! :)

      Delete
  8. bring a friend! i work out consistently when i know my sister-in-law is going too--that way it's social and it's productive........reasons why playing field hockey in college was the best case scenario :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call! I'm the type of person that really thrives when held accountable. Team sports are definitely great for that reason!!

      Delete
  9. My friend, I salute you! I couldn't make it to anything, much less a SPIN class at 6 am. That's dedication! Oh, and who is your employer?! I'm seriously impressed with their perks and commitment to healthy employees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl!! It was early, for sure. But I felt pretty good afterwards! I work for a pretty large law firm in the Carolinas. They're pretty awesome when it comes to that sort of thing!

      Delete
  10. Yay! So proud of you friend! If you ever need a partner let me know ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! I can NEVER have too much accountability!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! I've done decently so far...here's to hoping that continues :)

      Delete